Player Code of Conduct
- I will strive to master my sport through the ELM Tree of Mastery (E for Effort, L for Learning, and M for Mistakes are OK). I will give maximum effort at workouts, practices, and competitions. I will maintain a teachable mindset for continued growth and learning. I know mistakes are OK and in order to learn I will have to try new and challenging things which will often lead to making mistakes. I will bounce back from mistakes.
- I will use positive encouragement to Fill the Emotional Tanks of my teammates and myself. I will be a team player who prioritizes team success and builds team unity. I understand that, like the gas tank of a car, a full emotional tank can take people most anywhere. I will refrain from criticizing, bullying, gossiping, and using profane or vulgar language.
- I will be a 24-Hour Athlete who avoids high-risk behaviors and manages diet, hydration, and sleep to optimize performance on and off the field. I will abstain from the use of alcohol, drugs and tobacco. I will keep my mind and body both mentally and physically prepared to perform its best.
- I will help maintain a positive atmosphere by Honoring the Game, by using ROOTS (Respect for Rules, Opponents, Officials, Teammates, and Self). If I disagree with an official’s call, I will Honor the Game and be silent. I will demonstrate respect and good sportsmanship for others to exemplify.
- I will use a Self-Control Routine to avoid losing my composure if I grow frustrated. I will take a deep breath or use self-talk (“I need to be a role model for those around me. I can rise above this & react in a mature way”).
- I will Keep Winning and Losing in Proper Perspective. I understand that sucess is not directly linked to winning. I can set and strive to achieve team and individual goals to aid in the mastery of my sport. I will take victory modestly and I will view defeat as a learning experience by working towards improvement.
- I will Strive to Strengthen and/or improve individual skills outside of regular training sessions. I know that in order to make the most out of my soccer season it will require my efforts to practice on my own.
- I will Arrive on Time and Be Prepared for all practices, games and team functions. I will communicate any conflicts with my schedule and practices/games with the coach as early as possible.
- I will Ensure the Safety of Myself and Others by engaging in appropriate behavior on the field and by following team rules. I will report any injuries I have sustained on or off the field to the coach and will also report any injuries recognized of others.